Wednesday 6 January 2016

Wild Bird Wednesday 180 - Grey Ternlet

I saw these birds during my trip out to Balls Pyramid.  A combination of a moving boat and a fast moving bird was, to say the least, a bit of a challenge.  What made me laugh was that at one time the birds actually came too close to the back of the boat, and I missed a great shot as I was trying to reduce the focal length on my zoom lens!  It's not very often you have too much lens when you are photographing birds!

These birds are Grey Ternlets - Procelsterna cerulea.  The images of this bird in my field guide do not do it justice, as it is shown with a rather bulky beak, and while you can see hints of this in my pictures I think the bird looks rather graceful.  In fact, the way these birds have been captured here reminds me of swifts.

Theses birds are small - although not the smallest terns - at about 28cm long. Unfortunately they are classed as endangered, although there were good numbers of them around the pyramid.








This final, and rather cropped shot, shows a flock of these birds which managed to always stay just too far from the boat - although the picture does show the 'compact flocks dip and flutter over surface near breeding islands' that is also mentioned in my guide book.


And now you know what comes next - click the blue button and off you go.

As a special favour to me, could you try to think of 1 or 2 bloggers who would be able to post here and invite them along - it would be good to start 2016 with a bang!  Cheers  SM



34 comments:

  1. Hello, Stewart, I have never heard of a Ternlet. They are pretty birds, I think your photos are great from a moving boat. Thank you for hosting, enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stewart, those little terns are beautiful...so graceful. Your bird guide should se your photos instead of the unflattering picture they have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking birds! Love the pointed wings and those fan-shaped tails!

    ReplyDelete
  4. flying birds hard to photograph, but tons of fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year, Stewart! An interesting species, and too funny about actually being too close that you had to zoom out. All the best for 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to capture wildlife from a boat, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful and delicate little birds. I wonder if their habit of flocking so densely may put them at risk of a common catastrophe, as contributed to the demise of the Passenger Pigeons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos! Always enjoy your photos / birds. So different form my backyard list. :)
    Happy New Year! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Stewart, I have never heard of a ternlet! What awesome images as always. I'm sorry they're classed as endangered. Thanks for hosting this meme. I'm linking up tomorrow (Wednesday) when my post goes live. Greetings. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always get the best shots of birds in flight!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful ternlets and your photos show them as very graceful in flight. This is another one I would like to see!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just a beautiful water bird! Love it's graceful lines. Great shots even from a rocking boat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did manage to get great shots of these Gray Ternlets (Another bird I've never heard of). I don't know how you do it, though! I can barely get some shots on solid ground! Thanks for hosting and sharing your birds with us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree. These birds do look very graceful and you did a good job photographing them from a moving boat. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great shots under the circumstances. A nose looking bird too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the bird....and especially the panoramic scene of them in flight over the water!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love these in flight shots, beautiful, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  18. It could almost make a tongue-twister "A bit of a bird with a bulky beak by the back of the boat". They do look very much like our swallows mainly because of their forked tails, but they do also have a beauty of their own. Sad that such a beautiful bird is so endangered. As always you have captured wonderful pictures even though you may have missed what you thought might be the best shot (Having missed many of my own, I can appreciate the feeling). Seems to me that 2016 is off to a great start :)

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  19. In the third shot, he looks like an Olympian diver doing a #10 swan dive. These are wonderful. How in the world so you shoot such fine pictures from a bobbling boat?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Freedom, pure freedom....

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had never heard of a "Ternlet"..great shots Stewart...I'll see what I can do about finding "new blood" but we seem to have a lot of the same followers...You, way more than I...Hope you are having a good week..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy New Year Stewart! Great flight shots of these birds!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful shots of lovely little birds. I so enjoy all the unusual -to- me birds you have introduced me to in your blog. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love seeing them in flight!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Boa tarde, gostei de conhecer esta pela pagina, as fotos são de excelência a congelar o movimento, são belas com qualidade.
    AG

    ReplyDelete
  26. Interesting birds and stunning photos.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The pix are super but I really love the close ups so I can see their tails!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow what great photos! If you come across too many wild birds, check out bird removal NJ

    ReplyDelete
  29. a beautiful bird I have yet to see. And, I recognize your situation. Happened to me a few times too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. These Grey Ternlets look so graceful. I tried to catch dolphin shots from a small boat on windy water a few years ago, so I have an idea of the challenges. Same thing, too, with one that came so close, my big lens was too much. You did great with these.

    ReplyDelete