Friday 22 January 2016

52 Frames - Week 4 - Shoot from Below - "soft white underbelly"

This weeks 52 Frames was Shoot from Below.  The week of the challenge coincided with my return to Lord Howe Island - this time with the family.

On the island you can feed fish in the shallows of Neds Beach - and I used this as a chance to photograph some fish from below.  I weighted a pole with a GoPro on it and let it rest on the sand in the shallows - as the fish swam over the camera I triggered the video, later I extracted some still images from the video file.  It was all rather good fun - and the kids loved feeding the fish!

The fish are Silver Drummer - and they do not make good eating I am told!  The local name for this fish is Stinker, due to the fact that they poo everywhere if you do catch them and that they stink!  So, as a table fish they are not on the menu!


I will be trying to catch up with comments etc over the weekend.  Cheers - SM

15 comments:

  1. That is a great shot - I like the unusual angle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last species to survive will be stink bugs and stink fish...and they won't eat on each other either. They better turn vegetarian.

    Love your nifty method of grabbing cool shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great shot and different!! I hope you have a wonderful weekend, Stewart!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun and a great shot. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to use a GoPro! This fall, I wanted to stick mine in a stream near the Columbia River and catch the migrating salmon. Sadly, every time I was there, the fish were not....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun shot!!! Those GoPro's certainly offer different opportunities for fun photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You went back with the family! Happy for all of you. Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting photography and fish. I bet the kids loved walking amongst the fish. I did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you explained how you got the photos because I would have believed you were in the water looking up to take them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hari OM
    One of my fondest memories (of many such) of LHI is the feeding of the fish at Ned's beach... I never managed anything like this shot though!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun! Great shot Stewart. I enjoyed hearing about your technique.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my brother in laws is an avid fly fisherman and journals his experiences.. I'm always amazed at the underwater photo shots. I bet that go-pro is a lot of fun to play with, and fun is good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unless they're different Silver Drummers that are found in the waters off southern Queensland, NSW and southern states around to the southern parts of Western Australia...I've heard that they are good eating; but, as with tailor and some other similar fish they must be bled, filleted etc., immediately upon catching.

    I remember the first time we caught luderick (blackfish)...we were turned off by the smell when we began to clean them, but once you get used to that, they're brilliant eating.

    ReplyDelete