Sunday 11 November 2012

Macro Monday - The Main Door

This is a detail from the door that leads into the main chamber of the Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque in Muscat, Oman.  It really is a remarkable building - and like almost all of the grand religious buildings I have been in, it seems to generate its own quiet atmosphere.  I am rather jet lagged (oh, poor me I hear you cry!), so I will leave more details of Oman for the coming posts.


The quality of all of the workmanship in these buildings is stunning, and while this one is modern (it opened in 2001) the time, effort and money needed to produce such a building is still remarkable.

You can find more macro shots at Macro Monday.

Enjoy the close ups.

20 comments:

  1. Talk about intricate detail! A work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful details. I can't imagine how long it would take to create this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - what intricate and beautiful workmanship!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really look forward to more of your Omani adventures. Did you get a chance to go into the desert countryside and/or to the fertile Salalah region or mountains??
    I loved our time there, especially with expat friends who worked there to show on around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so intricate, I'm not surprised it gets attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I probably would not have thought taking a close-up detail photo of this. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a gorgeous door. The detail is really striking. Love the color also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. FINE WORK BY THE CRAFTSMAN AND BY YOU WITH THE CAMERA.


    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing detail. I would like to see how large this door is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that is detailed.Fine Craftsman work

    The camera guy YOU. Did a good close up.

    Good Job.

    Thanks for dropping to my blogs and may you have had a nice get away.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is beautiful, lovely image! Stewart, have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful. I could not imagine the hours and painful fingers/hands to complete it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very well captured in detail. You seem to be travelling a lot to the Muslim countries lately. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, stunning! The details are just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such an impressive piece of workmanship. Beautiful. You picture shows it off beautifully. genie

    ReplyDelete
  16. so beautiful Stewart...such incredible skill and dedication to create art in this way.

    I hope you will join me for the gratitude quilt this year... information about this project can be found at the top of my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really wonderful Stewart! Definitely a work of ART!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful detail!
    Your travels are fun to follow along with.

    ReplyDelete